What could change?
Ofgem's launch of a significant code review (SCR) started a process which seeks to implement wide-ranging and holistic reform in these areas. As part of this process Ofgem have decided to review:
- access rights for small & large users with the aim of increasing the choice of arrangements,
- how forward-looking charges on the distribution network can work to encourage efficient use of the system,
- how charges to connect to the distribution network can work in-line with forward-looking charges to reduce barriers to connection whilst still sending a strong signal to efficiently use the network,
- and how forward-looking charges on the transmission network can work to create consistent signals for generators connected across all levels of the network.
On 30 June 2021, Ofgem published its Access and Forward-Looking Charges minded-to consultation. This includes their proposals on access rights, connection charging and transmission network charges.
You can read the consultation document here.
Or, listen to our podcast here. In the podcast, we cover an overview of the consultation, as well as the FAQ's on Connection Charging, Transmission Charging and Access Rights.
How can I find out more?
- sign up to become a member of Charging Futures if you would like to find out when the next Charging Futures Forum is. These forums will present progress on the SCR and give you an opportunity to ask industry experts questions.
- you can contact Ofgem directly on Access and Forward-looking charges via [email protected]
- for any other questions on charging reform or Charging Futures, contact the Electricity System Operator, Lead Secretariat for Charging Futures at [email protected]